we're "snowed in."
here in the south
that means we got 3 inches of snow
and the roads are
shut down.
so, naturally church is cancelled.
every morning first thing
the kids jump on our bed
(and on top of poor Piper who gets
the best position in the middle of our bed)
and say they are hungry
and they need brefast
(as Parley calls it.)
luckily dad got to make
oatmeal this morning.
he made what I call
Grandma Fyans oatmeal.
it reminds of the times we went to
visit Grandma and Grandpa Fyans
in St. George
while we were dating and first married.
they were always so kind and accomodating
and if we were really lucky
Grandma would make us her special
oatmeal
with raisins and pecans.
so yummy.
and while we ate
Grandpa would have us look out their window
and talk about how
wonderful
St. George is even in the winter.
So warm.
and then he'd ask me to play their organ.
you know- the kind that plays itself basically.
the kind that plays music along with you
to "compliment" the song.
it confused me.
and Grandpa would say
maybe with practice i could be as good as
Grandma.
I doubt it Grandpa.
And all the while Grandma would keep feeding randy
as though he had the appetite of ten men.
and of course we would hear later from randy's
mom that they couldn't believe how much randy
could eat.
poor kid would go to bed each day so overfed
but would always eat whatever they gave
in order to not offend.
i, on the other hand, could not eat the
fruit bread and cheese (eww!)
i was given.
(gratefully, there was a garbage nearby.)
so many fun memories.
all from a bowl of oatmeal.
thank goodness for snow days.

5 comments:
Here on Lackey Road we make our oatmeal with raisins and hazelnuts with just a little brown sugar.
YUM-O!
beccabeck-
yum. i must try hazelnuts, that's sounds delicious.
We had oatmeal for breakfast this morning too, before church :) It wasn't canceled because the snow hasn't hit us yet, since we're further east.
That's beautiful: the picture AND the memories. Mostly the memories. Thanks for sharing.
I love hearing the memories, I think oatmeal is a nostalgic meal. we make ours with almonds and a can of pumpkin...it tastes like pumpkin pie. I'm glad you miss Vegas, we wouldn't want to think you forgot us. by the way I never thought I would hear you say that either. but this time of year it is easy to love, today it was 75. Maybe by Aug you'll remember why you wanted to leave!
Post a Comment