Sunday, January 11, 2009

Don't Let This Girl Fool You



Inside that sweet, beautiful girl is a monster.
This monster only comes out at night.
This monster screams.
And screams.
And screams.
For at least an hour, several times a night.
This monster is inconsolable.
No lullaby, hug, kiss, story will satiate its thirst.
It feeds off of the sleepless hours of the night.
It gets stronger with each minute that it steals from my exhausted mind
And then the morning comes.
And this monster hides again.
My sweet, beautiful girl awakes
with no recollection of the past twelve hours.
Help!
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

beccabeck said...

Night Terrors? Gabe has had a few nights where he woke up like that. We actually took him outside in the backyard where the cold "woke" him up, even though he seemed awake already. Those were terrible nights. I am sorry to hear that Parley is going through that... that YOU are going through that.

Tara L. said...

I feel your pain. I wish I had some advice for you. Lindsay still doesn't sleep through the night. Some nights she wakes up and is a monster, but some nights she wakes up just singing. I stopped giving her naps thinking that would help. No such luck. Parley is so cute. Hard to believe she can be a monster. Miss you guys.

llilli said...

Love this post!! You're a great writer. It's so hard to deal with the everyday when you're in a sleep-deprivation stupor. I'm sorry you're going through it. I remember some of those nights. Nowadays, my (youngest) monster stealthily sneaks into my bed and wraps his tentacles around me -- then keeps me in his death grip 'til dawn. I keep telling myself that someday I'll miss the nightly little-person in my bed.

I wish I had some great advice. I don't. Just hang in there -- and try to get some sleep! (While you're sleeping, dream about living close to me... I could help you get a break during the day. Tempting, huh).

Ben & Carly said...

I totally hear you, Ben and I are battling this with Luke. He is inconsolable at night, but since our apartment is so small it isn't just him it is affecting. He screams and kicks and only wants Ben...who is conviently in a coma sleep. If you figure this out let me know, three is such a hard age.

Janette said...

My nephew had really bad night terrors for about a month. They would have to take him out of his room and get him to really "wake up" and then he would go back to sleep peacefully. Even if they seem awake when they are being monsters, they really aren't yet. He eventually just grew out of it. Sorry you have to deal with that. It is miserable and it isn't fun to be sleep deprived either.

Greg and Carly said...

I am SO sorry! Livi went through a phase that sounds VERY similar to your situation. She would wake up and be frighteningly upset. We were told night terrors. They are still asleep, but with their eyes open, and their mouths screaming (slong with arms and legs flailing)! Don't worry, they will hopefully go away pretty soon. Just try not to lose your mind (along with your sleep) in the mean time :) Hope you had a great Christmas!

M-McClellan said...

Oh, I am sorry she still wakes up. I have been very blessed with great sleepers. I always tell Greg that it was because he was gone when the kids were young. Heavenly Father knew I needed good sleepers with Greg gone all the time. I tell him if we ever have more kids they probably won't be good sleepers because he will be home and we won't need that blessing anymore. Maybe I should just not have more kids (just kidding, I am just coming away from a co-op night with 8 kids all under the age of 4). Good luck!