That was all before I had my third baby. I am now (almost) twelve weeks post partum and I have started running again. I think my body has taken a turn for the worse.The first couple of runs were brutal. It felt as though everything was going to "fall out." Painful, but slowly that pain has subsided. There is a half-marathon happening in my neck of the woods in December. I want to run it. My mind is telling me yes, but my body seems to be saying, "are you out of your mind?!" I ran three miles Saturday and two and a half this morning. My hips ache and if I sit for more than a few minutes it feels like my hips have separated. Is this a normal thing after pregnancy? Am I just getting old? Do I not have the right shoes? Am I not cut out for this? Has pregnancy ruined me? All you runners out there (especially you who have had kids) let me know.
4 comments:
I have no answers for you. As you know I hate running. But, I decided I needed to do running instead of just the stairmaster and elliptical. So I started running at the gym. I run 3-4 miles. It is nice, but every time I run I get blisters and my feet bleed last week after running four miles. I am hopeless. Maybe I should pick up swimming instead. The Olympians make it look so easy:)
Aha! So, it's happened. Your body's telling you you're not 18 anymore! Last summer, when we were running together and I was sweating and gasping for air... you looked energized and hardly out of breath. I had to tell myself "she's young... but her day will come" to make myself feel better. So, it's good to know you're human. I suspect, though, that in a few weeks you'll be back in top form... ready to kick my booty again.
I've got nothing but compassion. I HATE to run, but every baby really does take it out of your body.
Go easy on yourself. You just had the baby!
My hips hurt when I first started running, and then they would hurt after some long runs, but eventually I stopped noticing them so I guess they stopped hurting! I think if you build up your miles slowly you are going to feel a lot better and make sure you have good shoes... I swear everytime my knees or hips hurt I get new shoes and they don't hurt anymore. I think you should go for the half marathon! Good Luck.
Post a Comment